Golden Gate Yacht Club
Located on a jetty east of historic Crissy Field and north of the Marina Green, at the end of Yacht Road in San Francisco, The Golden Gate Yacht Club sits as tribute to those who have made the Club what it is today – a friendly, relaxing gateway for good friends, great sailing and boating, and remarkable views.
Our Club was founded in 1939 originally as the Puerto de Oro Yacht Club. It was not until September of 1941 when it was renamed and incorporated as the Golden Gate Yacht Club. Our original founding fathers were a group of enthusiastic sailors and boaters who began the club as a foundation to promote both water sports and boating to our local community. This has remained a strong mainstay as one of the focal points of our club. Add to that the reputation of the “Friendliest Club on the Bay” and we have a winning ticket to be proud of.
The original club house was located on a US Army Corp of Engineers barge. In later years the barge was sunk as a foundation for a permanent club house however during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake the building was considered as unsafe and the dedicated members worked together to rebuild the club. After a substantial remodel in 2013 the club is a showcase facility enjoyed by its members and the community.
With moorings for small boats and large sailing yachts alike, the Golden Gate Yacht Club is perfectly situated with commanding views of the San Francisco Bay, and its namesake, the Golden Gate Bridge.
One of our proudest achievements is being able to say that we were the winner of the 33rd America’s Cup Challenge as well as the Defender for the 34th and 35th America’s Cup Regattas. Few yacht clubs in our country and the world can make that claim. The America’s Cup is undoubtedly sailings most prestigious trophy. For many it symbolizes the epitome of sailing. It was an honor for our club to partner with Oracle Racing both as a challenger and as a defender. Our club will always be remembered forever as part of the history of the America’s Cup.